About one weekend a month my husband has to work, so on that weekend, my daughter and I have our special mother daughter breakfast. This always includes some form of chocolate, because, well, chocolate for breakfast. Enough said. These are currently our favorite, but we have plans to experiment with peanut butter soon. I’ll let you know if that works out. 🙂
These are healthy enough that you could eat the whole recipe yourself, but I like to split it for two and have a couple of eggs with it.
They’re good enough to eat plain, but we like to turn ours into a mini sundae. The only thing better than a little bit of chocolate for breakfast is dessert for breakfast. I think these qualify!
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- scant 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 large banana, mashed
- 4 maraschino cherries, chopped small
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp applesauce
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips, optional
- Whisk first 5 ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Pour wet mix into dry and mix well.
- You can add chocolate chips at this point, if using.
- Pour onto hot nonstick griddle in 6 dollops, about 2-3 tbsp per. I use my whisk to help flatten them out a little as the batter is kind of thick. Flip when bubbles form and starting to brown on bottom, about 2-3 minutes. Cook about 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
- *I sprinkle them on top of my daughter's pancakes after pouring onto hot pan.