Some people have Meatless Mondays, Taco Tuesdays, and so on. We have Fish Tuesdays, mainly because I do my weekly shopping on Tuesday and my husband insists on fresh fish. We eat a lot of tilapia because it’s decently priced as far as fresh fish goes.
I’ve had a lemon kicking around my produce drawer for a couple of weeks and thought I might want to use it up. With that in mind, I pulled up a recipe on Pinterest I’d used before with lemon zest, but, being me, I decided to do something a bit different. Turned out pretty good. 🙂
It’s fairly simple. Mix your breading ingredients, brush oil on tops of fish, and press fish into breadcrumb mixture.
- 1 pound tilapia filets
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- zest of one lemon*
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a shallow bowl mix together breadcrumbs, spices, and lemon zest.
- Spray a baking dish with non stick spray.
- Brush tops of fish with olive oil.
- Press fish oil side down firmly into breading. Place crumb side up in baking dish. If you want more breading, sprinkle some of what's left in the bowl on top of the fish.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until cooked through.
- *This does have a strong lemon flavor, so use less zest if you're looking for something a bit more subtle.