I unexpectedly started a part time job today. They called first thing this morning asking if I wanted to start today. I guess that makes me a mostly stay at home mom, since it’s literally about twelve hours a week. Yeah for part time jobs at your kids school!
This wasn’t my original plan for dinner, but I didn’t have time for what I had planned due to not being home a chunk of the day, (new job paper work takes forever!) and that actually worked out rather well, because this side dish is delicious! The apples maintain their crunch, and pair well with sweet potato and spices. It also goes together rather quickly which is always a bonus. 🙂
First you peel, cut, and boil the sweet potatoes.
Apple and sweet potato slices are then layered with bits of butter and a brown sugar and spice mix.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 large apples*
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- Place sweet potatoes in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Lower heat and let cook for 10 minutes. Drain sweet potatoes and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Mix brown sugar and spices together.
- Slice sweet potatoes about 1/4" thick.
- Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Lay half of the sweet potatoes and apples alternately in baking dish. Dot with half the butter, and sprinkle with half the spice mix.
- Repeat for second layer.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Stir and serve.
- *I've used Granny Smiths and Cortlands with equal success.