So, I think this is the best picture I’ve taken yet. I might be getting the hang of this! Starting to anyway.
My mother and I had something different for breakfast every day while she was here, which is not normal for me. I’ll normally eat the same thing for most of a week. Something like this oatmeal. It makes 8 servings in one shot, keeps in the refrigerator for over a week, and reheats great in the microwave!
My mom likes oatmeal, but had never had it baked before. I figured we should change that. She took some home with her, so I’m gonna go with she might have liked it. 🙂
If you’re like me, and always thought oatmeal was a bowl of inedible mushy slop, you have to try this. It’s kind of like apple crisp, where the crisp gets mixed in with everything else. You know how I feel about dessert for breakfast, right?
Look at all those spices. I love just about anything with these flavors. For a little extra spice, try this brown sugar cinnamon applesauce from Barefeet In The Kitchen.
Bakes up beautifully, and after a few minutes to cool, it slices easily. It also reheats well in the microwave.
With or without whipped cream, it’s delicious. 🙂
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce*
- 1/2 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 2 to 3 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Crack eggs into same bowl, mix together.
- Add applesauce and almond milk, mix well.
- Add chopped apples, stir until apples are well distributed.
- Spray a 9 x 9 or 8 x 11 baking pan with non stick spray.
- Pour into baking pan, smoothing the top out as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before slicing.
- *I used homemade brown sugar cinnamon applesauce from the same site this was adapted from. It's awesome in recipes. 🙂