My mother told me that turkey kielbasa tasted just like regular. She was wrong. It has a different texture, and the flavor is not quite the same. That’s ok though, because it’s still delicious, and literally half the calories.
I’ve made a version of this recipe before, without the peppers, and just cut it in half and had a side with it. It was just way too bad for you to make the whole thing, or to make often. But it was so good! So I decided to bite the bullet and try the turkey kielbasa. So very glad I did. With the peppers and onions, it’s a one dish meal for less than 500 calories a serving that tastes like it should be way more than that! Granted, even turkey kielbasa isn’t exactly healthy, but if you’re like me, and just have to have it once in awhile, try this one dish meal. You’ll be so happy you did. 🙂
I like having the little chunks of bacon rather than the really small crumble.
- 2 thick cut bacon strips, cut into 1/2" pieces*
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 13 oz package turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a 12" skillet, cook bacon. When done, remove from pan with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel to soak up grease. Drain off all but 1 tbsp of bacon grease from pan.
- Place potatoes and water in a microwave safe dish, cover, and cook for 4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Saute kielbasa and onion in bacon grease for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add potatoes and peppers to pan, cook 5 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Add to pan and mix in. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix bacon in and cook 3 to 5 more minutes.
- *If you prefer, you can cook the bacon slices whole, then crumble when done.