Let’s be honest here. Stroganoff is not the prettiest thing in the world. But it tastes so good! And we don’t even like mushrooms!
If you’re like us and love the taste of stroganoff, and want a homemade version that tastes the same, but doesn’t have sliced mushrooms in every bite, this is the recipe for you. However if you really do like mushrooms, feel free to add some into this. 🙂
I’d been wanting to make stroganoff from scratch for awhile, so my mother gave me her recipe. It was a bit high calorie for me, and had way too many mushrooms, so of course I made a few changes and here we are.
We’ve been trying to move away from highly processed foods, so instead of canned cream of mushroom soup, I make my own version. I adapted the soup recipe from Gimme Some Oven. She has a cream of mushroom and a cream of chicken recipe. I pulled bits from both for this. I’ve also made the straight cream of chicken for other recipes. Works really well in place of the canned stuff, so check it out. But feel free to use canned if you prefer. I’m all about using whatever works. 🙂
I’ve been discovering all sorts of wonderful uses for my food processor. Pulverizing mushrooms so I can’t tell they’re there, but they still add flavor is one of them. 🙂
Between making the soup, cooking down the meat and onions, and cooking the noodles, this does take a little while to make, but I promise it’s worth it. It tastes better and it’s healthier than hamburger helper, and I used to love that stuff!
I use a mix of greek yogurt and sour cream, but feel free to use one or the other. I have made this with all lite sour cream, but opted for half yogurt this time. It’s delicious either way.
And voila! Beautiful (ish) stroganoff. Enjoy. 🙂
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 6 Tbsp almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 ounces mushrooms, chopped fine, or pulsed in a food processor
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup lite sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 6 cups egg noodles
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together milk and flour. Set aside.
- Bring beef stock to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Reduce heat and add milk mix to stock.
- Whisk in seasonings and mushrooms, and cook on low until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a stockpot or large skillet, brown ground meat. Drain off excess grease.
- While meat is browning, start water boiling for noodles, and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, and spices to browned meat. Cook until onion is softened.
- Mix in mushroom soup mix. Let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in sour cream and greek yogurt. Heat through.
- Add noodles and mix through.