The last couple weeks have been a little nutty. My daughter’s schedule has picked up even more, adding her violin concert and Girl Scout events on top of her usual weekly music lesson, scout meeting, and cheerleading practices and games. I love that my munchkin has activities she enjoys, but I will be so thrilled when cheerleading season is over!
I had plans for three or four posts these past weeks, but every time I went to make something, I was running late, and didn’t have time to stop and take pictures. I actually did take pictures when I made this last week, but didn’t have the motivation to post it. We had to put our 15 year old kitty down this week, which put a damper on things around here. Poor thing had dementia and it was just time. We went to the SPCA and picked out a beautiful year old siamese mix to keep our other cat company. 🙂
My daughter has been helping me eat this. I love that there is a way she’ll eat oatmeal. Granted, adding chocolate chips to things definitely helps. This batch I just sprinkled a few over the top, and she didn’t even notice they weren’t all the way through. She’s happy there’s chocolate chips involved, and I’m happy because it’s less calories than mixing in a half cup of them. Win win. 🙂
This is basically a chocolate banana bread style baked oatmeal, with the flavors of vanilla and almond extracts. Instead of a cherry on top, you have bits of cherry mixed through, and a spattering of mini chocolate chips to top it off. Add a dollop of whipped cream, and maybe a little chocolate syrup, and you’ve got everything that makes a banana split amazing.
I felt like being fancy when I made this. Looks prettier this way than all mixed together.
You can see the little bits of cherry poking through. I put in about 15 of them, but feel free to add more if you like. My food processor made mashing the banana and chopping the cherries much faster.
A tablespoon of mini chocolate chips goes a long way. 🙂
Look at all that chocolatey cherry banana goodness!
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 15 maraschino cherries, chopped
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 to 2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9" x 9" or 11" x 8" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mashed banana, cherry bits, almond milk, eggs, and extracts. Add to oat mix and mix well. Pour into sprayed baking dish. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until done. (Toothpick inserted should be dry, or just a few crumbs.)
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for a week. Reheats well.