My husband and I went out for dinner and a movie last night. Deadpool was amazing! As are our friends who took the munchkin overnight so that we could go, which was really quite nice of them, considering they haven’t seen it yet. So this is me, finally getting this recipe on here that I’ve been promising them to get posted for a few weeks now.
I made a batch of these as a dozen muffins, and brought them to their house one day for our weekly lunch date. Their oldest son, who is a rather picky eater, took one. Five minutes later he came back for a second, and before he’d finished that one, he’d grabbed a third. Any ideas you can find to get a healthy breakfast into a picky kid, and have them think it’s a treat, makes for a good day. Actually anytime you can have chocolate for breakfast and it’s healthy I’d call a good day for anyone. Or is that just me? 🙂
This was adapted from my mother’s friend’s banana bread recipe. I made it her way for years, and it’s really good. This is my lightened up plus chocolate version. 🙂
I’ve been slightly obsessed with white whole wheat flour lately. I can’t taste any difference using it in place of all purpose flour in quick breads, and it makes it so much more filling!I like to mash bananas with a fork when making bread, so there are still small chunks of banana mixed throughout.
This is the coolest bread dish. Four mini loaves with only one pan to wash. 🙂
You could also make a dozen muffins or a full size loaf of bread. Just adjust baking times accordingly.
My daughter and I polished one of these off in three portions, sliced up. The other three went in a freezer bag for after school vacation. These thaw out great and taste just as good. 🙂
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups white whole wheat or ap flour
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray mini loaf pan or pan of choice with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fully mixed, then stir in applesauce. Beat in eggs, then mix in mashed bananas and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients. Add to banana mix and blend until just incorporated.
- Pour into sprayed pan. Bake for 40 minutes for mini loaf pan or until toothpick inserted comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
- For muffins, check after 25 minutes, for a large loaf, check after 45 minutes.