The weather has been absolutely gorgeous the last couple days! Yesterday after school my daughter and I went for a walk down at the beach, and if it hadn’t started raining we may have gone for another one today. She’s getting to that age when spending time with Mom gets a little less important, so I’ll take every opportunity I can get. 🙂
Seeing as it’s still March in New England, I know the 60 degree days aren’t going to last, so I made this slow cooker soup to have ready for when the temperatures drop again. This is a wonderful recipe I found through Pinterest on a food blog called Movita Beaucoup. I only made a couple of small changes to the original, because it was just about perfect for me as is.
I love making soup in the crockpot. A bit of chopping and mixing, and it’s ready to go. The only down side is I set it to be done after dinner, then forget about it until I’m about to head to bed. So I have to quickly get it divided up, labeled, and put away in the basement freezer.
This one is pretty simple, and fairly healthy as well. Vegetables, potatoes, chicken, broth, and spices. Makes a great lunch with some bread and butter. 🙂
The corn and peas get added later to keep their texture and vibrant colors.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 to 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, diced 1/4" to 1/2", about 2 medium or 3 small
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2" to 1" pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker, place onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, chicken, and garlic. Sprinkle thyme over all, then pour in 3 cups of chicken broth and give it a stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Whisk together remaining half cup chicken broth, flour, and pepper, and stir into slow cooker along with peas and corn.
- Replace cover and cook for another 20 minutes, or until thickened a bit.
- Freezes and reheats well.