Since Easter is coming this weekend, I’ve been playing around with a couple of different carrot recipes, trying to get them just right. The carrot cake baked oatmeal isn’t quite there yet, though that should be coming soon I hope, but this bread is pretty close. 🙂
There are a ton of different quick bread recipes utilizing fruits and vegetables, from apples to zucchini, but you don’t see carrots as often outside of carrot cake. This is a shame, as carrot cake is delicious, so why wouldn’t you want a healthier bread version to eat with breakfast, or add to your Easter spread?
All that shredded carrotty goodness. 🙂
I used my mini loaves pan again, but you can make 12 muffins or a loaf of bread in a 9″ x 5″ bread pan.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray mini loaf pan, or pan of choice, with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together applesauce, oil, and brown sugar, then mix in eggs and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, almond milk, and lemon juice, then add to applesauce mix. Fold in carrots.
- Add carrot mixture to dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour into pan of choice. For mini loaves, bake about 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. For muffins, check after 20 minutes. For a full loaf, check after 45 to 50 minutes.