My daughter had a friend sleep over last night. When asked what they wanted for breakfast, they came up with a combination of whipped cream, chocolate, and waffles. Enter this amazing recipe for banana waffles that lets you give them exactly what they want, and feel good about doing it!
Little do they know that with no added sweetener of any kind, due to the natural sweetness of the bananas, and white whole wheat flour, these little guys are actually healthy! There’s also no oil or butter, since banana can take the place of that as well.
So go ahead and add the chocolate chips, top them with a bit of whipped cream and chocolate syrup. They’ll think you’re the coolest mom ever, and they never need to know how healthy it actually is. It’ll be our little secret. 🙂
With less than ten ingredients, these are super easy and quick to mix up.
Make sure your bananas are good and ripe, with lots of brown spots, so they’ll have that natural sweetness.
I seriously have the best waffle maker ever. My mom bought this when we were kids, and it had been sitting in her basement unused for years. When I mentioned I was thinking about getting one, she pulled it out, cleaned it up, made sure it still worked, and gave it to me for Christmas. I couldn’t have been happier! Instead of circle quarters, I get little heart waffles!
Aren’t they cute? 🙂
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or ap flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed banana, about 2 medium
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 2 to 4 Tbsp mini chocolate chips (I used 2)
- Preheat waffle maker.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mashed banana, vanilla, and almond milk. Add to flour mix and whisk until just mixed through.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spray waffle maker with non stick spray and make waffles according to your waffle makers instructions.
- This makes 4 whole waffles, so could serve 2 to 4 people depending on what else is being served with it.