It’s been a very busy (but very fun) summer so far! A Faerie themed Renaissance festival, birthday cake and ice cream with my bestest friend ever, the wedding of an old friend that I really need to see more often, and a mini vacation with me Mum and the Munchkin. 🙂
With that said, I have done more driving in the past month than I care to think about. The wedding was 10 hours away! I am really glad to be in my own house, with my own stuff, and have no plans of going anywhere that’s more than an hour away for at least the next month! All that of course means I can post regularly on here again!
During the school year my daughter took some version of a peanut butter sandwich for lunch four days out of five. Her choice. Needless to say, she is currently rather sick of peanut butter specifically, and sandwiches in general, and had plans of eating spaghettios and mac and cheese for lunch daily. Now I’m ok with her eating those here and there, but daily?! Not going to happen. Luckily, she’s gotten much better at trying new things over the last couple years, and fell completely in love with this chicken salad the first time I made it.
The picture is actually her lunch plate, she absolutely loves this stuff in lettuce wraps. With Cheetos. She’s 11. It’s also quite tasty on multi-grain bread. 🙂
You could use precooked chicken for this to save time, but I like to cook the chicken wrapped in bacon to impart some of that salty smoky goodness into the chicken.
All the fruit and veggies make this a healthier lunch option, and give it a nice texture. I love how the sweetness in the apple plays off the salty bacon. 🙂
I use a blend of light mayonnaise and plain nonfat greek yogurt to lighten it up a bit while still preserving the creamy flavor one expects in chicken salad.
- 2 small chicken breasts, about 10 oz, or 1 1/2 cups chopped precooked chicken
- 2 strips thick sliced bacon, or more if desired
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 gala or golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, and diced, about 1 heaping cup
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup light mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then wrap with bacon. Cook in oven for 20 minutes.*
- Allow chicken to cool. Chop or shred as desired and add to mixing bowl along with celery, onion, apple, and crumbled bacon. Mix together.
- Add yogurt, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Can be served immediately, but tastes much better after sitting for a few hours, or overnight.
- It definitely lasts at least 5 days, it's never been in the house longer than that. 😉
- *Bacon may not be cooked thoroughly. Just remove it from the chicken and finish off on the stove to desired doneness. Crumble and mix in.