It’s been a crazy busy (but fun!) summer. I can’t believe it’s almost over! School starts in less than two weeks! We finished the school shopping earlier this week, and since then we’ve been hanging on to lazy summer days for dear life! I thought it was probably time I did something useful though. Real world useful anyway. I’ve been very productive in my current game addiction. 😉
My sister and her family visited last week. She has an extensive garden, and brought up veggies for all our meals including purple potatoes and carrots. They were pretty cool. I think I may try growing the potatoes next year.
We also went blueberry picking, which is always a good thing, since my daughter eats them by the handful! I made blueberry pancakes while they were here that turned out really good, so I’ll be posting that next time I make them. In the meantime, here’s another baked oatmeal recipe, just in time for busy back to school mornings when you need a quick grab and reheat breakfast. 🙂
Like all my baked oatmeal recipes, it starts with the oats, brown sugar, baking powder and spices in one bowl, and the eggs, almond milk, vanilla, and fruit or vegetable components in another. In this case we have a bit of both with zucchini and applesauce, so it’s extra healthy, right? 🙂
The lemon zest gives it a nice brightness. I figured if lemon and blueberry was good, and lemon and zucchini was good, why not all three at once?
Then we fold in those beautiful blueberries…
…and spread it out evenly in a sprayed baking dish. See all those bits of wonderful summer goodness!
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- I cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 11" x 8" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, then mix in applesauce, almond milk, lemon zest, vanilla, and zucchini. Add to oats and mix thoroughly. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour into sprayed baking dish and spread evenly. Bake for 40 minutes, or until done. Allow to cool a few minutes before cutting.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen, and reheated in the microwave.