This will probably be my last zucchini recipe for the season, which is kind of sad, as I really do love zucchini. But with the fall weather and the cooler temperatures arriving, summer squash must needs make way for it’s winter cousins, which I also love so that’s ok.
You know what else I love? Baked oatmeal! Shocking right? I only eat it for breakfast five days a week or so, no biggie. This is definitely my new favorite oatmeal, and that’s saying something, because I have so many to choose from at this point.
As far back as I can remember, my mother has been making chocolate zucchini bread. It’s seriously amazing. And seriously full of fat and calories and deliciousness. One of these days I’ll make a version that I can eat without feeling guilty. Until then, I’ve put all those wonderful flavors into this oatmeal. It’s incredibly moist from the zucchini, and all the different flavor notes of orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla and almond extracts combine with the cocoa powder to create a decadent tasting breakfast that you won’t believe is actually healthy. Bonus points for eating vegetables for breakfast. 🙂
As per usual, it starts with the oats, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and spices in one bowl…
…and the eggs, almond milk, vanilla, and fruit and/or vegetable components in another. Orange and chocolate go so well together, so I zest a whole orange for this. 🙂
Once it’s all mixed together and poured into the pan, I like to sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips across the top. Makes it seem extra desserty which is how I like to start my mornings. How can a day that starts with chocolate and whipped cream be bad? 😉
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 to 4 Tbsp mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 11" x 8" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, then mix in applesauce, milk, orange zest, vanilla and almond extracts, and zucchini. Add to oats and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into sprayed baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top if desired. Bake for 40 minutes, or until done. Allow to cool a few minutes before cutting.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers and reheat in the microwave. If freezing, allow to thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
I would love to hear what you think of my new oatmeal recipe. Leave a comment and let me know. 🙂